Saturday, April 15, 2023

Week 2-3: Missionary Training Center, Sao Paulo, Brasil

 

The past almost 2 weeks have been very interesting. The day I was leaving my home to go to the St Louis airport; so much happened, before and during the flight. To make many long stories shorter it began with my brand new church shirt catching fire due to my Dad.  It’s a long story but he put the fire out then sewed the shirt up with some expired suture he had at home.

 

I spent the entire flight from St. Louis to Atlanta talking with a pilot named Spencer who gave me many insights and a wonderful conversation that I have written down. 

 

Best wishes to you Spencer and I'll be praying for you and your growing family. 

 

I met up with a bunch of missionaries going down to Brasil with my companion Elder Daniel Cutler and I. We both stuck together and shared many interesting conversations over our last American meal, Buffalo Wild Wings. We boarded the plane and started the long flight to Brasil. I couldn’t sleep for a few hours so I used the time to study and write down many thoughts and to write a letter. During the probably 2 hours I spent doing this Boen Torgerson leaned over the aisle and asked what I was doing. That simple question turned into a 2-hour discussion that would stick with him and drive him to talk about me by name and his experience until we landed in Brasil.

 

When we got to Brasil it was pretty simple, but I wasn’t expecting the MTC to be deep in the city of São Paulo; in not the best area. It all was great though and the first day was so long. The rest of the week really flew by. I have played more volleyball here than ever in my life and so I have definitely become good at it.

 

Food, amazing. My district, amazing. The building and the beds, less amazing. 

 

All in all, the first week was great. I have never felt as strong of a Spirit as I have here. I gave 3 blessings that first weekend and, man, the power and Spirit that you feel from just being here together is great. 

 

My companion Elder Cutler and I also began practicing on the piano and singing hymns. I now really want my guitarra, but if I have time I'll get one in Curitiba.

 

Our days remind me of school but also sometimes of a prison due to the barred windows and not being able to leave the completely fenced/walled in area. It has become routine for Elder Cutler and I to walk the 200m track anytime we have nothing to do, and we share many stories and deep conversations. 

 

Oh, I also got sick/am sick. It’s not bad anymore but the day I first had it I was burning with a fever and my throat hurt, however, diligently drinking water and prayer works because the day after I woke up as if I had never suffered, except for congested sinuses. I would like to say I got sick from a few others in my district, but I still participated in everything with them.

 

Every week we get 2-3 devotionals, they are really good and insightful so that has also been good. I've also made a ton of friends and I'd like to know why so many people from Idaho and Utah get called here because it seems that they all know Elder Cutler. I guess because he has lived in both places. I don’t know, it’s crazy, but the people are great.

 

Something I started doing 3 days ago is read every single general conference talk from 1971 till now. My Grandpa Blaine Hyatt told me that he has been doing it and that he has learned a lot, and so I began incorporating them into my personal study. I can attest to their greatness in information and power. I feel I have gained greater understandings on some topics because of the readings. I'm still in 1971, but I have two years to get through them all so I think I'll get there.

 

We went to the São Paulo Temple and it was pretty and defiantly needed. It is also a hot day today so I'm sweating, but it has all been great. We leave to Curitiba Tuesday, 4/18/23. I'll keep you all updated.

 

(The following pictures are just a few that I took. The drawing was a gift from Elder Nunes who gave it to me the first day we arrived. The desk is my desk where I do my study and writing. Then there are some random pictures of my district and a picture of a tired Cutler and I after our first day. Also some pictures of the Temple.)

 

Ate Mais,

Elder Hyatt

Sao Paulo Templo

Elder Cutler and I


My Desk


My District


The Picture from Elder Nunes


    Sao Paulo - from my window



















The Plan of Salvation




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue Tied in my Native Tongue; Mission Weeks 72-73?; Area: Guaraituba, Boa Vista Zone

  Hello everyone! Welcome back to another email from Elder Hyatt, let's jump into it because a lot and not a lot has happened these past...