Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Elder Slaugh my Second Son; Mission Weeks 41 & 42; Area: Dalcol; Ponta Grossa, PR, Brasil

 Yoooo, so a lot has happened so let's get into it.

⚽️ 2 weeks ago
It was my last day with Elder Cutler and we went to a place called Buraco do Padre. Which was really cool. Some members took us out there and we had a great time. Definitely will be going back. Then the next day I said goodbye to both of the Elder Cutlers and I received my new companion…Elder Slaugh. Elder Slaugh is a pretty cool dude. A little quiet but absolutely funny when he speaks. He is from Draper Utah and is a State Soccer player. He has been fitting in perfectly down here. That week was basically walking around, easing him into the mission and helping him get his bearings. We visited many people and we practiced talking and grammar. It's been pretty fun to see his language growth in the past two weeks.

๐ŸŒŠ Batismo!!!
Yo we had our first baptism of the transfer. Our friend Apolo ran up to us last week and said he could be baptized. To explain, his brother Joรฃo Victor was baptized on the 30th, but his mom wouldn't let Apolo because she said he was too young. Well, on Wednesday, we walked down to the park where we always teach all the kids and he runs out saying “ELDER ELDER ELDER EU VOU BATIZAR, MรƒE DEIXOU!!!” He was so excited and we were too. We got everything planned and everything went perfectly, we got him and all of his friends and some family to go and watch. He was so happy after and I gave him a shirt and a tie to wear. They are all great and wonderful kids, and it was Elder Slaugh's first baptism. So, pretty lit!!

๐Ÿ›ซ Flying Talk
On Sunday I gave the following talk to the ward. I had basically one night to prepare it so don't judge too harshly, lol.  I'll also send the version in Portuguese:

Good Afternoon brothers and sisters. I'm pretty sure everyone already knows me, but to be safe. I'm Elder Hyatt and I really love Planes. I love them so much that I'm going to talk about them briefly.

A few years ago I was training and practicing to receive my pilots license. A pilot's license is different from any other license because once you have it you are a pilot for the rest of your life and will never need to get a new card. In order to get your license you need to pass 3 tests: first the written exam, second an oral exam, and the last being the actual flight exam. I failed the written test the first time. My dad was not very pleased. However there is a nice thing about the aviation test, it tells you in bold all the things you are horrible at and need to do better. I felt sad and embarrassed because not only did I fail, I failed my dad who was helping me and guiding me and telling me what to do. My dad had paid for the test and to get me the resources to study, but I didn't do everything I could have and I fell short when the test came. It wouldn't be till many months later when I went to college that I would pass the written test after being placed in a large classroom with more people who were all trying to learn. How glad I was after all the effort I put in which allowed me to be a pilot today.

Brothers and sisters I tell this story not just to talk about planes, but because there is an interesting lesson I learned that can be applied to all of us. We are all taking these tests now. Our lives are us taking these tests which our Father in Heaven has paid for. He has given us the resources to study and to practice so that we all can live in the Celestial kingdom with him, but what if we fail in this life. What happens if we finish the written test, but never take the actual flight test? What happens if someone moves on into the next life without ever making a covenant with God? Are they lost forever destined to never return to the presence of the Father? No, they are not. We as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints know that our Heavenly Father had a plan for them and that plan included Temples.

Temples are the House of the Lord. They are the holiest place on the face of the Earth. Their purpose is to help families be eternal, and to help those who failed their tests or who never had the opportunity to take the actual flight test. We know from the scriptures that Christ after his death went and taught those in the Spirit world. I imagine they were probably all sitting down in a classroom taking notes learning so that they could pass the test afterwards. We know with assurity that God loves all his children and wants us all to return to his presence. The Temples are sacred places where we can help our loved ones by performing ordinances on behalf of them. I remember the time I had the opportunity to be baptized for my grandpa Valdo. The strong feeling of joy and peace that I felt, I will never forget. At that moment I knew that he had passed the tests. 

I have been very blessed to be a Missionary here in Ponta Grossa because every 3 weeks we get to go to the temple and I have the opportunity to do the work for my ancestors. When we are there I feel the peace and power of the Lord as a radiant testimony saying, “If ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.” 

Brothers and Sisters we have a mighty work to do. We need to not take for granted the resources that our Heavenly father gave us. Not just here on earth but for our ancestors as well. They too need our help so they can pass their test and live as an eternal family with us in the life to come. I urge everyone to try and visit the temple as often as possible, for I have received many answers and blessings every time I have gone. I promise you all that you will come to a greater understanding of the beautiful Plan of Salvation the more you do family history and temple work. I'm forever grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ who gave us all a second chance so that we may inherit eternal life in the Kingdom of Heaven. I leave with you these things in the sacred name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

๐ŸšŒ Traveling
As of right now I am on a 2 hour bus ride to Curitiba to meet with President Bikman tomorrow morning…well not exactly. All new missionaries have a training in their first transfer to ask questions to President. So yeah we will be staying with my good friend Elder Araujo who was my Zone Leader, how fun it will be to see him again. Anyway that's basically it for today. Here are some pictures for you all!!

Until next week!

Elder Hyatt











No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue Tied in my Native Tongue; Mission Weeks 72-73?; Area: Guaraituba, Boa Vista Zone

  Hello everyone! Welcome back to another email from Elder Hyatt, let's jump into it because a lot and not a lot has happened these past...