Friday, November 10, 2023

Rhythm of the Rain/Moleskin and Superglue; Mission Week 31; Area: Dalcol; Ponta Grossa, PR, Brasil

 Man this week was a rainy week, but let's start at the beginning. Last Monday, after I sent my email, Elder M. Cutler and I met up with the boys Elder D. Cutler and Elder Speirs. We went shopping together where Elder Dani Cutler and I got to catch up and also de-stress a little. After a few hours we met back up and went to shopping because I'm trying to find a new watch band since mine is basically just moleskin and super glue now… OH well. After we all went to a burger buffet and it was great. We all got stuffed and then we returned home. That was basically the rest of my Monday. The rest of the week went as follows…RAIN! Yeah it wasn't the greatest days to work, but there were some moments that were good. 


We continue to visit the Rogalski family. They are so awesome and they have such an interesting situation at home. So it's a family of five: Luis the dad, Tânia the mom, João the son, Gustavo the other son, and Maria the daughter. The father is paralyzed from the waist down because 5 years ago someone tried to kill him and shot him twice in the back of his head, but he survived! He can talk and eat and do basically everything a normal person can, but he just cant walk, however, even through this and more trials they have faced they never lost their faith. It was incredible because we had the opportunity to take the whole family to church and after their second time in church the mother turned to us and said, "I have no doubt in my mind that this is the true Church." It was awesome to hear and made us so happy. They plan to be baptized (the whole family) this Saturday! This will be awesome! 

Anyway aside from them we met this really cool guy named Valdir who gave me some church shoes after he saw that I have holes filled with rocks in mine and torn up laces. I have yet to actually try them on because I just stick to my first shoes, they aren't completely destroyed yet so why change them. I'll make them last like I'm making this watch last. I've found out I'm very much a sentimental person, like if someone gives me something I keep it no matter what. The watch that I've been wearing for my whole mission so far (7 months) was a gift from my brother-in-law Brayden who gave it to me as I was about to walk through security in the airport to São Paulo. I have not gone a day without wearing this watch and I plan to keep it until the end of my mission. It's just a good watch with value and it's only dying when I let it die. 

We also had a funny experience Saturday night. We went to a neighborhood called Recanto Verde which is about a 2 hour walk. We got there later in the afternoon and we're trying to visit a few people. Elder M. Cutler calls it a ghost town because it seems like no one was ever home. Anyway we pass by this family of David who is a member who hasn't be going for more than 14 years, but still believes in the church and reads the Book of Mormon, his wife Dayane, and their two sons Davi e Dylan. We started talking with him because Dayane wasn't home yet. As we were talking with him we were getting ready to leave and then Dayane gets home. We ask her when the next bus passes so we can grab it to go home. She tells us 8:30pm and my phone says 8:21pm, so we both decided to trust her and kept talking. I had this strange feeling the whole time that the bus would come a little sooner and so I kept looking at the time. Well at 8:19pm she stops talking and says, "That's the bus!!" We race and chase after the bus through the neighborhood and to no avail we got left in Recanto Verde 2 hours away from our home and we needed to be home at the latest 9:30pm. So we start walking and I called Elder D. Cutler and we talked about strategies on how to get home since he worked in this area as well. We ended up walking 20 minutes to another neighborhood and got a bus at 9pm and got home at 9:21pm. We got so lucky. Also earlier that same day the Rain flooded a bunch of roads so we basically had to cross a river of water and that was awesome. I really enjoyed it, but Elder M. Cutler didn't. 

Anyway, I had another week of more self reflection and just stuff to work on. I was planning on adding more, but I feel like it is long enough as it is, and I am tired so I'm going to finally relax and maybe nap for the first time in 7 months. Who knows I really don't like napping. Anyway until next week!

Fotos









No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue Tied in my Native Tongue; Mission Weeks 72-73?; Area: Guaraituba, Boa Vista Zone

  Hello everyone! Welcome back to another email from Elder Hyatt, let's jump into it because a lot and not a lot has happened these past...