Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, I dug a hole - Week 5, Ponta Grossa, Area: 31 de Marco

 Hi ho, Hi ho, I dug a hole

 

Last week was a good week. We walked a ton which caused me to get a few blisters on my heels, but survivable. Had a dog bite my shoe and almost bit Elder Blackburn and I. We talked with many people and families, it's been great. 


We had 4 baptisms this week and I'll get to them in a bit. 

 

The beginning of the week doesn't have much stories or things to talk about so I'll skip to Wednesday or Quarta-feira. That evening, after seminary, in the chapel we were going to have the baptism of a young girl named Ruth. Her baptism was planned before I got to the area so I don't really count it as mine. Anyway, before the baptism our day was going as normal where we walked a bunch had lunch at a member’s house. We then returned to the Invasão. Ruth and her mother live in a tiny home without a bathroom.  They have been working on putting a bathroom in behind their house.  They needed help digging a hole for the waste, so as good missionaries and servants to others, we dug a 6ft deep hole for their bathroom. I got a lot messier/dirtier than Elder Blackburn because he had me finish off digging the hole.  I'm a bit shorter than him and shorter than the hole so he thought that it would be easier for me to be down there digging, it wasn't that easy. After we finished digging the hole we went straight to the church for Ruth’s baptism. I was covered in dirt.

 

The following day we did splits with Elder Felix and Elder Rodríguez. I went with Elder Rodríguez, he’s from Uruguay, man does he carry the Spirit around with him. He would “force” me to contact people then he would give lessons and discussions to them.  He would always find a way to help them and was always smiling. The way he talks about the Gospel really connects with everyone he speaks to; he helped me by giving me advice on how to do that too. At the end of that day I can truly say I was amazing by how many people we could talk to, get to know and really know what they needed or wanted in their lives. It was amazing and I definitely learned a lot from Elder Rodríguez.

 

The following day we went to the Curitiba Temple. We had a few hours of travel to get there but it was well worth the trip.  We brought one of the recent converts, a 15 year old boy named João, with us. The temple was a great experience not just for us but for João as well. He expressed how he wants to go back and take his sister with him. He wants her to be able to feel the Spirit like he did and enjoy time in the House of the Lord.

 

To bring this week to a close we had 3 more baptisms this past Sunday! Mateus, Enzo, and Vitor. They are three great boys. Enzo and Vitor are brothers. Mateus is one of the kids I played soccer with my first week in the mission field and who accepted the invitation to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he reminds me of one of my cousins whose name is also Mateus. It was great to see how excited he was to be baptized and how happy he was after. He even has two more friends who are really interested in learning about the Gospel as well.

 

Overall it's been a wonderful week!


I have attached some photos from the week.  Photos of me in the hole while digging, Elder Blackburn and I out tracting, the baptisms, many of the ward members and lunch with someof the members 

 

Elder Hyatt


Digging the hole



Elder Blackburn and I
Ward members
Lunch

Mateus
Enzo
Mateus, Enzo e Vitor
Ruth








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue Tied in my Native Tongue; Mission Weeks 72-73?; Area: Guaraituba, Boa Vista Zone

  Hello everyone! Welcome back to another email from Elder Hyatt, let's jump into it because a lot and not a lot has happened these past...