Friday, June 30, 2023

Macumba! (VooDoo); Mission Week 13; Area: 31 de Marco; Ponta Grossa, PR, Brasil

 This week was a very interesting week with many things happening. 


Tuesday we ran into an older lady who had 30 dogs in her house. That is 30 pugs and pitbulls with some of them being pregnant. She was really nice, but also funny because she kept calling her neighbor a "vagabunda". Afterwards we met with Priscila one of the people we are teaching and she was very nice. She made us spaghetti; we talked with her and answered many questions that she had.

Wednesday, as we were walking the train tracks, we came across a bunch of pots filled with stuff: candles, coconuts, and peppers. Elder Blackburn and I didn't know what it was for so he grabbed two coconuts and we packed two of the pots which was empty and clean into his backpack. Later that evening when we were visiting a family in the Invasão we asked if they wanted a coconut. We opened the bag and showed the coconuts and the pots to them.  The dona was shocked. Turns out all of the stuff we found on the tracks was macumba or black magic. It was apparently an offering for something, but we didn't know, so we eventually got rid of all the stuff. It happens that sometimes you see something cool and you don't realize it's for black magic...oh well it's gone now. 

Also, on that same day we saw the aftermath of an 11 year-old kid getting beat up in the Invasão. We found him crying with a large bruise from his shoulder down his back. There is more to the story, but I don't want to get into it. Also that night Elder Blackburn and I got told that we are going to hell...we just walked away laughing.

Thursday was a good day, but after lunch we were walking down Condomínio Real, Rua 2 and as we were walking there were 3 dogs off to our right. I saw a little rock and wanted to hit it so I scraped my shoe across the cement and kicked the rock. Well, the dogs thought I was going to kick them or something because they went insane barking at me, and of course I got bit in the butt by a 3-legged dog. Yep, out of the 3 dogs I got bit by the one with 3 legs. I'm good though it didn't puncture through my pants it just hurt quite a bit after.

Friday we went to the temple and that was good. Its always nice being able to go to the temple every 3 weeks. It really is a special and sacred place.

Saturday was another busy day with cleaning the church, English class and working in both areas trying to talk to everyone about going to church the following day. 

Sunday I gave a talk in the 31 de Março Ward and it went really well. It was kinda nervous because it is the first talk that I've given fully in Portuguese, so yeah, I was a tad nervous. I'll send another email with only my talk so this email isn't too long.

Also, we found a Book of Mormon from 1975!  It looks different than any I have seen, it even has pictures in it. It's amazing to find something so old and classic.  

Anyway that's pretty much it for the week. It's been busy and hot. It's supposed to be winter here and it's still 25 degrees Celso (about 77 degrees Fahrenheit). Anyway here are some pictures.

Photo 1:  On the left is the current Book of Mormon, on the right is the Book of Mormon from 1975
Photo 2:  Title page from 1975
Photo 3:  House with so many cats
Photo 4:  Railroad track Macumba
Photo 5:  A cool picture I took one night

Elder Hyatt





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue Tied in my Native Tongue; Mission Weeks 72-73?; Area: Guaraituba, Boa Vista Zone

  Hello everyone! Welcome back to another email from Elder Hyatt, let's jump into it because a lot and not a lot has happened these past...